Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What else to feed?

H

howard

Well it has been a week and my first sal is eating great I think in my opinion. They are eating medium crickets and waxworms. I feed the waxworms to the smaller of the two since someone posted that he looked a bit skinny. My second one I bought is about 1 1/2 to 2 times bigger. For some reason didn't see him when I got the first one the other day. They are getting along fine and the bigger ate 8 medium crickets the other day in about 5 minutes, but he doesn't look skinny at all. I will post a picture of him today or tomorrow. What else should I feed these guys. People said no blackworms as the burrow and die and foul the soil. Should I sprinkle anything on the crickets before I feed them or feed the crickets something first before feeding the sals? I tried to give my big new guy a waxworm with tweezers and he ate it for about 3 seconds and then spit it out, not sure if he likes them or not or what the problem is. So if someone could give me some suggestions to my questions I would appreciate it. And BTW, the 2 are burrowing very nicely and coming up to eat so those concerns I had I think are fading quick. Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1