Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New to newts

N

natalie

Hello, I've had my chinese firebelly newt for about a month. I feed him blood worms on a flat surface so they can't dig into the gravel. The problem is his nose has become blunt at the end, white with red lines.I think it might be from digging into the gravel. I'm afraid he's in pain from his nose and I don't know how to make him better. Any advice would be appreciated.

I

ian

how about some photo? That will help a lot.
My Fire belly always dig through gravel for food and they are fine for a year already.

If you suspect the wound came from digging the gravels or eating on flat surface, maybe you can try to feed them with tweezer or use a feeding dish in the water.

J

jennifer

I would suggest getting rid of the gravel. Alternatively, you could feed him a food that does not disappear into the gravel (frozen bloodworms or chopped earthworms).

N

natalie

Sorry, there's no way I can post photos and thanks for the advice. The problem has now become even more involved. Around his nose wound a fuzzy white growth has developed. I'm afraid it's infected. He doesn't move around as much. I've added some aquarium salt to try and help but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I'm not sure of the next steps to take. Thank you!

I

ian

Dont just add salt. Do salt bath. which you put the newt in a salt solution for some time and remove it. I believe someone in here is much more expert in it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1