Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Whats going on???

ryan

Reaction score
Bart (mudpuppy) was just scratching at her gills with her front arms and fingers! She was also pumping her gills really hard too! Is this normal? She did it for about 30-40 seconds and then calmed down, was she just doing a normal cleaning of her gills or something?? Please help!

A

annmarie

I have seen axolotls do it before. It probably is not much to worry about, sometimes ya have to scratch an itch. Maybe a particle got in there and Bart need to get it out, like when dust gets in our eyes.

I would only be worried if Bart scratches the gills in excess, it could be a sign of an infection and whatnot. I noticed in axolotls that had "gill fungus" at times they would go nuts trying to scratch the nasty fuzzball off.

Chances are, Bart is ok.

ryan

Reaction score
Thank God! She only did it that once and calmed down. I bet that when I was trying to feed her worms a bunch of times today, some of that crud that comes out of the end of the worm was squirted into her gills or something.

I'll let you know if Bart does this again and/or more often.

thanks

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!