Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Interesting critters

J

jeffrey

I noticed some interesting creatures among my daphnia today as I was sifting for small ones for the larvae. Could anyone possibly identity these? My books do not have a picture or description of them.
21086.jpg

P

peter

I could be wrong, but when I saw some of those, and looked them up, they were a form a midge larvae, I think.

Don't take my word on it, though.

E

edward

They do look like a midge larva.
Look up "glassworms" for a comparision. Some of those types of midge larva are predators and there are reports of them consuming larval fish.

Ed

J

jeffrey

Thanks Peter and Ed.

I also received a separate reply identifying them as phantom midge larva.

I managed to spot a few smaller specimens in the larvae tubs and removed them straight away, for safety.

A

alan

Yup, they're glassworms. Not harmful to anything bigger than a few milimetres long, good food! After reading about these for years, I'd never actually seen one until this year when they showed up in my outdoor Daphnia cultures. Must be climate change...

J

jeffrey

My removing of them was before I had any information on them, I would rather be safe than sorry in that regard. The C.O.s quite enjoyed munching on them.

Thanks for the input from everyone

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1