Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Bloat and morphs

J

joseph

I'm sad to say that I lost my two Chinese firebelly newt morphs to bloat quite recently/suddenly. The throat and neck swelled up and the morph would appear very uncomfortable and lethargic.

I'm not too sure what caused it but have my suspicions in either exposure to warmer temps or sudden change in diet, and thus kidney failure according to the CC article? I was away on vacation and left them in the care of my sister so am unable to know if perhaps they got exposed to warmer temps during my absence. I do know that I instructed her to use Tribolium larvae for them instead of the normal blackworms. The way I instructed her to feed them prevented water pollution and the water was clean when I got back. They looked fine upon my arrival home about a week ago. Suspect they were probably in the beginnings of it though. I think the throat swelling happened very quickly as I didn't notice this until yesterday morning. They were not interested in food several days ago and now that I think back I'm really kicking myself over not being observant.

My question is am I drawing the right conclusions? I don't know if just one week of my absenc really caused it or if their are any other factors possible. I had kept on the floor in a cool area in the house but perhaps this might mean I'll have to take more precautions.

A

alexandra

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your two newts. I don't know much about your species, but I currently have a T. gran with bloat. While bloat can be a symptom of many problems (according the article on bloat on this site and my vet), it sounds like your newts had a bacterial or parasitic infection. My T. gran Izzie has bloat caused by bacterial as well as parasitic infection and as far as I understand success in treating the infection depends on how soon you discover the problem. Izzie is currently on wide spectrum antibacterial as well as anti parasitic medication and I believe the only reason why he is still alive is because I noticed the change in his behavior early and was able to find a vet who specializes in exotics and was able to see him right away.

After reading all articles on health and illness on this site, I kept searching for more specific help for quarantine tanks etc. and found this very helpful web-site which explains how to set up quarantine tanks for semi-aquatic, terrestrial as well as aquatic species. I hope that you will not need this in the future, but just in case it is of great help. http://www.livingunderworld.org/amphibianArticles/article0001.shtml

As to the causes of bloat, my vet suggested that Izzie contracted bloat because I had changed his diet from frozen to live worms (Izzie was on a frozen diet for about 12 years by the previous care-akers) and that the sudden rich food triggered the many bacteria that are naturally present in newts to proliferate. Another possibility is his new tank-mate (I recently adopted a second T.gran) who might have introduced bacteria and parasites. The introduction of a new tank mate could have stressed Izzie and lowered his immune system, making him more susceptible to illness.

Any kind of stress will lower the immune system and leave newts (as well as us humans) more susceptible to illness, may it be tank-mates, change of diet, temperature, change in tank-furniture or other causes.

Again, I am sorry for your loss, but it sounds like it was too sudden a change in your newts health for you to be able to do anything.

J

joseph

Alexander: Thank you very much for the reply. Based on what the caretaker said apparently the newts did not eat at all to her knowledge during my absence(which is odd as they were fine right before I left).

I think that both factors you suggested may have caused it. I doubt it would be possible to medicate a morph even if I had caught it in time...(?)

Hopefully the next time around with eggs I have better luck and now at least I know some of the possible errors you can make raising these little guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1