Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire belly newt help

R

ragon

my newts wont eat at all!i think they are suffering.i have tried to feed them bloodmorms,shrimp pellets,and tubifex worms.help quick!

C

coen

Allright Ragon,

Which newts do you have? Under what circumstances do you keep them (aquatic, temperature, lighting, hiding places etc.)

We need more info, also try rainworms.

R

ragon

they are fire belly newts if you didn't read the topic title.i have them with two guppies that i put in there just yesterday but they haven't eaten before that either.they have plenty of hiding spots.they have land and they are mostly on it.i don't know the size of the tank but its smaller than 10 gallons.the temperature is 70 degrees F and is what i was worried about.they are very small too.

R

rodrigo

if they are on land you might want to try chopped earthworms...they like their food moving. The temps are not the best but they can handle it.
If i were you i would take the guppies out...they make look harmless..and they pretty much are...except for they may stress your newts. They can also introduce illneses or even bite your newts.
They´ll be better without them.
Good luck with them.

R

rodrigo

They are better alone. Most newts tend to live in water masses that have no fish. Fish eat their eggs so it´s a bright idea to avoid them.
It mostly depends on the individuals...i know of ppl that keep guppies with no apparent problems.

Anyway it´s better to avoid mixing species...most ppl here will tell you the same...
also you might want to check this
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Mixing_disasters.shtml

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1