Walking like drunk, leaning to left side , fungus, mad swimming

S

sherri

I hope somebody here can help me. I have a very sick axolotl.She first started walking very lopsided (to her left side) a month ago, but was still eating etc. But she has gradually been getting worse, and only time she moves now is when she rolls around herself very fast, like she is very much in pain or extremely scared, or has a brain problem. I took her to a vet, who suspected either bacterial infection (Most likely in nervous system) or liver problem. She got Amycin injection, multivitamin injection, calcium injection and anti-parasite medicine orally. I was also given Amycin injection to give her at home every 2nd day. It has now been 4 days since she was at the vet, but she is not getting better, but worse. She just lies on her left side, not reacting to anything, apart from a few times a day she goes mental and starts swimming, rolling around herself like mad.

I'm very, very worried, and would appreciate any help or advice enormously. This axolotl is like a baby to me, I love her soooo much.

Thank you in advance for your kind replies

It does sound like something neurological, and such things are difficult to treat, even in mammals. The only other thing I can think of would be the standard refrigeration therapy (put axolotl in shallow water in the fridge, change water daily). That might prolong her life, but probably isn't a cure.

For something this (potentially) serious, I'd try and go to another vet and get a second opinion (although it may be hard to find a knowledgeable vet). Good luck!

Thanks Jennifer and Karen! I have a glimmer of hope now, as she had eaten 2 bits of dry food last night, and her body looks bit straighter...I can only hope she keeps improving,even if slowly. She is such a strong little girl...all 108 grams of her seems to be fighting, doing her best.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back