Can i mix a chinese fire bellied newt with a smoothe newt

C

carl

please can somone help me can i put my smooth newt in the same tank as my chinese fire bellied newt

(Message edited by carl_the_dude on April 26, 2004)

In general it is not a good idea. On top of diseases and parasites that may be transmitted from one species to another (You should also see the following link:
http://www.livingunderworld.org/amphibianArticles/article0007.htmt)
there is also the issue of newt temperament which has to be taken into consideration.

Although Cynops are considered a fairly non-aggressive species, I find that my orientalis can get quite aggressive at feeding time, while the species of Triturus I have are seemingly not as aggressive (I have cristatus). While I am unaware of the temperament of Triturus vulgaris, if they are a calm and easy going newt they may become stressed living with an active and somewhat aggressive newt (at feeding) like Cynops orientalis. There is not much of a size difference between these species so i doubt that one could inflict much damage on the other, but it is still a possibility.

Also it is my understanding that the living requirements of these two species are different -orientalis are more aquatic, needing very little land (perhaps just a floating shelf) while vulgaris are more terrestrial and may require a 50%water:50%land based setup.

tara

I am noticing that the link is not working and that livingunderworld is being updated; just go to http://www.livingunderworld.org/and click the following links: caudata, amphibian articles, species mixing, new world syndrome.

(Message edited by edwardst on April 26, 2004)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back