Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Newt skin shedding????

J

jamie

i have a california newt and i was just wondering when and how often they shed their skin, what their behavior around that time will be, and just what i should do and stuff....does anyone know?

B

brian

Mine never had any noticeable behavior change. They just did it when they needed to. I always kept mine in mostly terrestrial set-ups and they never had a problem.

J

jamie

so how often do they usually shed though? is it often, or like once a year? i just want to know how often to expect it....also, my california newt loves water, he is rarely, if ever on land...is that weird?

B

brian

Well I had one that shed at least 3 times a year and another one shed only once in that same year. The first one ate a lot though. I honestly don't know what is average. It looks very cool if you can catch it shedding though.

I'm not sure. I notice a lot of people keep them so they have access to a lot of water, but in the wild I only see them really aquatic when they breed, but I have rarely seen one swimming around during non-breeding time. Maybe someone here can better answer the water thing although I really wouldn't worry. Some of them like to do one thing more then another.

J

joel

I think its alright that they dont shed to often, only if they shed to frequently, like every other day then your newt may be having some problems.

J

jesper

I have been a bit concerned a couple of times by the strange behaviour of newts only to see them starting to shed minutes later.
If you ever see a newts running with its belly scratching the gravel you know it's time
happy.gif
. They just act really absurd with the red thread being scratching in various ways. Sometimes it's difficult to see that the skin is coming off but mostly it's quite obvious with the skin becoming greyish.

S

samuel

Hi guys, just a thought based on the assumption that u guys don't have a 24 hr surveillance on ur tank. The newts could have shed frequently but each time unnoticed by u guys as the evidence is always eaten up. Well, just a thought.

Sam

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1