Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!!!!!!

D

dawn

Hello, I have or had 2 Cynops pyrrhogaster
Japanese Fire Belly Newts. Last night I found that one had died and the other wasn't looking so great. I'm worried because the newt that didn't die has some sort of raw areas on his back and head. It looks as if he has an infection and the areas are raw. Also he is normally at the bottom of the tank just lounging around, but has begun to float at the top and seems very restless. I am very worried about his belly also, it seems like it is a bit bloated and he usually doesn't look like that. I feed them about every three days, so his belly shouldn't be bloated today. Thanks for any help. Dawn Sutton

M

mark

Well Dawn, that really doesn't sound good at all. What symptoms did the dead one have, if any? Do the raw areas have a furryness to them? How long have you had them?

I'm no expert when it comes to sick animals but I'd place your remaining newt in a clean quarantine tank, in a quiet, cool part of your house and probably start treating for a bacterial infection. Information can be found here http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/sores.shtml along with treatment for other illnesses. Hopefully someone can recommend a decent antibiotic you can use.

D

dawn

Ok, is it possible that the two newts had a fight and the dead one lost. I was away for the weekend and when I returned they looked normal, but hiding as usual so I can't say for sure what may have happened. I have in the past witnessed minor scuffles between the two, but like I said, nothing major. I have my other guy in a different environment right now, and he seems fine but not moving much. When I really looked at him, I noticed that he is missing 3 toes, one on each back foot and one on this front foot....This is what leads me to believe that perhaps there was a fight. I doubt that my fish would have done this, they have all been housed together for almost a year and there have never been any issues. Maybe the marks that look raw on his body are from fighting the other newt? There isn't any fur around these spots either and like I said, they are new. Thank, Dawn

M

mark

It does sound like it may have been a fight. C.pyrrhogaster arn't normally aggressive to the point of murder. Pachytritons on the other hand...

As C.pyrrhogaster is fairy rare in the pet trade it might be worth checking http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/firebelly.shtml to establish what type of newt you have. What fish were they with?

D

dawn

I looked at the link, and I am absolutely sure that we have the JFB...He seems better now that I have him isolated, but I tried to put him in the tank and he just floats. I have several gold fish, 2 angel fish, 1 guppy, a sucker fish and the newt.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1