Paramesotriton escaped into the wild

B

benjamin

So I go to a summer program for two weeks leaving my entire collection in the trusted hands of my little sister ( a mistake I won't make again) and come back to find that one of my male fuzhongs has escaped! Because my sister merely ran into the newt shed, tossed a blood worm cube into each tank, and dashed out as soon as she was done without checking how many newts came out to eat, I have no Idea of when the animal fled. Thankfully I do have evidence of how the animal did so: some duct tape which I had used to secure cheese-cloth over an opening for piping in the aquarium lid had lost its "stickyness", and the newt was able to push through beneath it. I thoroughly searched the shed for the animal and did not find it, but I did discover several potential routes to the outside. There are several nearby hiding areas and ponds which the animal could take residence in with in my garden, many more with in the neighborhood, and with in a mile a large common.

I was wondering what type of areas/evironments/direction a potentially disoriented newt would head for if it reached the wild. I also would like to know if I need to inform any local wildlife authorities, as the newt is not native.

Unless it was a gravid female, I don't think you'll have to worry about it propogating and taking over.

My guess would be that it would head toward water, or stay very near the shed. I don't know about who to contact, if you should contact.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back