Baby newts

J

joel

my newts around about 2 1/2 inchs long would they still be clasifyed as babys these are red bellied newts. if so what would i do different from if they whree adults. they were store bought so i think they are stressed they wehre also in with fish and one has its right front toes bit off will they grow back... i have been treating it.

well it looks like this but its stomach is not as lager and tail is very thin. they also don't have th eblue tint around there eyes this might be ebcause of lack of food from store. and another thing is frozen shrimp good for them? i got eartworms not but not sure how much to feed two. newts. so i was thinking about half of the worm depending on its size

(Message edited by joel on March 04, 2006)

well i gess if you want me to say it this way it is called a Taricha rivularis newt this might be the same as the kind you are talking about but that is what i found. it was called. they kind i have.. but they only thing is mine are spoted and a hunters orange color.

Are you fairly sure about the species being a Taricha? They are not normally spotted. Can you post a picture? Cut up the earthworm into bite-size pieces. See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms2.shtml
Feed them as much as they will eat in a few minutes, then remove any uneaten food.

If your newt matches those photos, it is a Chinese firebelly (Cynops orientalis). They are the most common newts sold in pet shops.
http://www.caudata.org/people/JM/firebelly.html

It is common for newly-acquired CFB to get some sort of "limb rot" and sores. Sometimes they heal and grow back. Some people have reported successful treatment with antibiotics.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back