Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Medicine?

J

jesper

Anyone have had experiences with any of the following medications on newts?
AQUA FURAN
eSHa 2000
WATERLIFE Myxazin
SERA bactopur

It is not easy to find out about the active ingredients since I found these via the internet.
I have bactopur and furan here so I would especially appreciate advise on these.

J

jesper

Well I browsed through the archives and found a little info, also some on caudate central.
No specific info though, like malachite green might be toxic - probably
Methylene blue - might be toxic - John Clare says use at half dosage, also says ok for axolotl - also says toxic to amphibians - Francesco says he uses it at double dose and quotes a book - confusing

More and better info is needed.

I am going for methylene blue in the form of Waterlife's myxazin!

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
What are you using it for? I use Furan 2 as a general cure all when axys have fungus problems and sore feet.

justin

Reaction score
i have found that myxazin is brilliant for sorting out fungus on axolotis and newts with no ill effects, malachite green i used once to treat a newt and the newt totally freaked out so i would,nt use that again, melafix is also a good treatment for most fungus with no problems

J

jesper

I have this cynops pyrrhogaster that was given to me by a pet shop because 6 out of 7 had died of bloat and they didnt know what to do - so they offered him to me - I just couldnt say no...
Now he was very thin when I got him, he eats sparingly and sheds a lot. No sign of bloat though. Now, one of his legs have been swollen for some time, I was hoping he would handle it himself but now an ulcer has develop on this swollen leg - so I decided to do something about it. I havent had a ill newt for 10 years so I am not so experienced in this situation. Anyway I have concluded that it is a bacterial infection and I am trying to act accordingly. I have found three out of four of the above medications here in pet shops. I have bought waterlife myxazin(methylene blue) and started the treatment.
The question is what experience have you had dealing with bacterial infection?
Does furan work?
Also I have heard that NaMnO4 works well, I would like a second opinion though.

Cheers Jesper

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
The Furan 2 works. It is made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals in the U.S. It is recommended for gram positive and gram negative bacterial diseases-Furunculosis (Aeromonas), Dropsy, Gill Disease, fin and tail rot, ... It contains Nitrofurazone, Furazolidane, and Methylene blue trihydrate.

J

jennifer

I have successfully used (on larvae) a product that contained nitrofurazone + kanamycin. I used it at the standard concentration for freshwater fish.

J

jesper

I will try AQUA FURAN then if myxazin doesnt do the trick. No big changes yet, some red tissue has turned white now though...
Is this necrosis?

F

francesco

I use sera mycowert for fungus problems on aquatic newts.
ciao

J

jesper

Hi,
I treated my newt with half the dosage of myxazin but the leg was only getting worse and he was developing these ulcers in other parts of the body. I stepped up the dose to 40 times the recommended dosage - no ill effects but no improvement either.

This morning I had to use euthanasia, he was in severe pain and had ulcers all over his body - really horrible
sick.gif
. He died quickly and rests in peace now
angel.gif

I would say that WATERLIFE myxazin is <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>
angry.gif
. I want a broadspectrum newt antibiotic!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1