Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quick question about air stones

justin

Reaction score
Alright, I hooked up my pump (rena air 50) into limewood. I plan on buying a stone to replace it because I'm having a problem:

It's creating a white film on the top of the water... at first I hoped to turn town the air pressure, but a control knob is only available on bigger pumps. The bubbles produced by the lime wood create quite a current for the 5 gallon tank and I had to shut it off.

I DO plan on swapping my current tank for a 20 gallon I attempted to grow Daphnia in, butttt I'm waiting for a few more supplies to be delivered (2 more newts, a bunch of gravel, my stone).

My question is: Is the pump just too powerful, or is it the microbubbles of the lime wood?

J

joan

Is it a film or a foam? I sometimes get foam from my airstones. That's just a buildup of proteins and such. If it's a film, I have no idea. I've never used limewood. Try taking the airstone off and just using the hose bare. That's what I do in a few of my tanks.

justin

Reaction score
Heh, what I would call a filmy foam.... it goes away after about 5 minutes. Anyway to turn the pressure down?

J

joan

Split the air hose with a T connector. Run one end to just a glass of water or something and the other to your tank. You need to have them both in water somewhere, because if you don't, the end of the line you're not using will have no resistance to the air coming out, and no air will go to the airstone in your tank. Does that make sense? lol.

justin

Reaction score
Thanks Joan; I actually had a similar idea as you and bought a T connector... now running into another tank. Thanks for the help.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!