Cloudy eye

S

samuel

Recently, one of me CFBN's left eye has gone a little cloudy. Not the type of cloudy u see in the eyes of a snake that's abt to shed, it's just tt it's not as clear as before. Vision however remains unaffected, appetite is just as ravenous. Anyone know what's the prob? and if there is any cause of a major concern? Thanx.

Usually newts get cloudy eyes when they have a lack of vitamins in their diet. Have you been feeding the newt always the same type of food without any vitamin supplement? If yes that's the cause.
Cheers

yeah, they mainly eat frozen blood worms and occasionally live tubifex worms. Can u explain the cause? Thx and btw, what type of vitamins and how can i supplement them with it? Thx for the response.

Sam

If the newts are terrestrial you can just dust the food with the vitamin powder. If the newts are quatic...
sick.gif
you have a problem. Adding the vitamins (in drops) to the water won't have any effect because it won't be absorbed by the animals. You can try turtle or fish pellets which should have vitamins. Move them in front of the animals mouth and see if it eats them.
Ciao

Me CFBNs are aquatic. Is vit deficiency a common prob? now i see partial sheddings ( size of newt's palm) in my tank, getting worried... Thx anyways Francesco

I noticed this problem in the right eye of one of my nominate form C.ensicauda about two weeks ago. The other eye is clear. It's kept in a 90cmx45cmx45cm tank with eight other C.e.e, none of which suffer from the same affliction. To start with, I'm going to give it daily dips water containing the antibiotic Enrofloxacin to see if that doesn't fix things up. Any advice would be appreciated! Ed? Anyone?

As for it being a vitamin problem...hmmmm, it's fed on vitamin-fortified frozen bloodworm, and I've never experienced this problem with my other newts that have been fed on the same. Might try varying the diet just the same though.

Samuel, does this look the same as what you're faced with?

10147.jpg

If it's only on 1 eye then I agree with you Tim, it's not a vitamin problem. My carnifex had all both eyes cloudy and I solved the problem by giving them vitamins.

Tim: no it's not that cloudy. i still can see the pupil and stuff. it's just that the lens isn't as transparent as it sued to be.

Francesco: Mine newt had one eye cloudy then followed by the other eye. My bloodworms are vitamin enforced too. what is it? bacterial?

My other newt has the skin hanging loose at one of the front limbs. I'm getting worried man. I think it's due to my temp. My newts are at abt 80 F and they're orientalis. No way of cooling it down
sad.gif

Thx guys.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back