HELP!!!!

K

kyke

ok so im in MA and it was below 40 degrees yesterday. i was at a party when my friend called me outside. there was a yellow spotted salamander. someone stepped on him and broke its frount right arm. the ground is frozen so it can not burrow to hibernate. it is 9 inches long and is hurt. i have it in a ten gallon tank with eco-earth. it eats when i give it worms. i have leopard geckos so i have herp supplies. what should i do? it will die outside because of its arm and the ground being so hard. will it die if it doesnt hibernate? HELP

I don't think it will die if it doesn't hibernate as long as it keeps eating. Maybe wait until the ground is soft enough for it to b released. Is it moving around OK considering the leg?

what should it eat? ive been giving it earthworms. anything else i should feed it? do they swim?

Hello Kyke
You are a remarkable individual for trying to help a injure salamander that you found. Most people will not have bother taking the time to do what you are doing!
I wishes you the very best!
happy.gif

P.S. Earth worms are very good food for salamanders.

(Message edited by alberto_hernandez on October 29, 2006)

Spotted sals do not swim, except during breeding. It will be Ok to keep in just the eco-earth bedding. Earthworms are the best, but it can also eat waxworms, crickets, slugs, bugs from outside, etc.

If it's indoors, be sure to keep it cool - a basement or garage may be the best bet. For sals, being cold is best for healing. Sals do not really hibernate, they just stay underground when it's cold. Some of them are just as active at 40F as they are at 65F, it depends on where they are and whether there is food around.

It is best not to release any animal that has been kept in captivity, as they may acquire germs in captivity, then infect local populations of amphibians.

ok thanks. i have experience with reptiles like leopard geckos and turtles but never expected to have to hhelp a salamander. i cant aford to take it to a vet right now because im currently dealing with two leopard geckos with crypto. the vet charges me 118 for a check up. my concern is the leg. it is broken and twisted back. im not sure what to do.

Last I checked crypotosporidia infection in reptiles is incurable.....

Ed

right it is uncureable but the vet is giving me stuff to help prevent the pain i guess.

Newts have the ability to regenerate limbs. If the broken limb becomes more of a hindrance or even infected, consider cutting it off using a sharp razor blade or scalpel. It sounds scary, it is scary (those tiny bones are harder than you think), but it'll allow the newt to heal properly.

ok so the tank is a 15 gallon with eco-earth. how do i feed the salamander? like do i just let the worms loose in the tank? do i put them in a boal? remember that she cant exaactly dig very well.

Kyle, its true about their limbs growing back. I bought a japanese fire-bellied newt who had been housed with two paddle-tail newts - who had viciously attacked him and twisted his arm so that it was hanging by a thread.

I isolated the newt in a terrestrial set-up and the injured arm fell off within a few days. Fortunately, there was no infection and the newt showed signs of healing. Then the arm slowly grew back.

Now, about a year later, the arm is completely normal (you would never know it had been gone) and he is in a tank with 4 other Japanese newts. He's the biggest, healthiest newt of all and is thriving on bloodworms.

Hope your little guy gets well and I agree - good for you for helping him!!

Hi Kyle, although it's gross, you should chop the earthworm with a razor blade or something of the like into easier to manage sizes (I chop about an inch for healthy larger newts, and about a half inch for the smaller or sick ones)..you'll have to see what size works. Then I hold it in front of them stabbed on a toothpick. This works well for injured newts that can't get around very well.

You could also put some crickets in, and see if it would hunt out some of it's own food. I'd use mainly worms though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back