Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

More worm IDing!

M

mark

Unfortunately i haven't seen these worms and i have no photo, but am going by the descriptions of my dad.

They were at the very least 10cm long, about the width of an elastic band and brown. They were in the water area of my mandarin's tank. They are very likely to have come in on a new batch of elodea.

Any ideas? I cannot think of anything of that size and that description.

janice

Reaction score
Mark,

I'm not really qualified on the worm thing, but I recently found out that there are very large (comparatively) planaria that often are transferred on plants from nurseries. My sister called asking what this thing was, but i had never heard of it; it was about 5 inches (18 cm). I think they are somewhat terrestrial, but I don't know if they live in the UK.

M

mark

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'll do some further questioning and see what i can find out. I think my dad may have been able to identify them if they were leeches but from his description they were slender and worm-like and moved in a snaking motion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1