Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Eating too much too fast.

S

stephanie

I recently bought two fire bellied newts and bought some bloodworms to feed them with. One of the newts is always ready to eat, but the other never wanted anything. So after browsing these forums, I found someone who suggested a live earthworm. I went out and found a very thin worm, but it was longer than my newt. I dropped it in the water in front of him and it was gone instantly. I didn't catch how he did it.. but it kind of worried me. He hadn't eaten in almost a week then ate something that was bigger than him. Will this upset his digestive system or anything?

J

jennifer

It depends on how long it had been since he ate. Overfeeding a newt that has been starved can indeed be bad for it, even kill it. You'll just have to wait and see. If he's OK in a couple of days, he'll be fine. Start with small feedings, though. You may have to chop worms for him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1