Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

HELP!!! newt MISSING LIMB

M

melinda

i have had 2 newts(c. orientalis- chinese firebelly) for years in a 10 gallon tank. i recently(1week) purchased 2 more at a petland...i noticed one of the newts had a front toe that seemed to be rotting off. it did not seem to be getting anyworse. THEN, after being away from my newts for less 24 hours, the new newt i thought was healthy was dead and swollen at the mouth and the one with teh rotting toe has his entire front limb had completely disappeared. It looks like there is a white film over it. what do i do? help? please

M

melinda

thnks. i saw that article, i was hoping someone had something encouraging to say or maybe a tip or hint.

R

rancidevilpingu

my 1 of my first newts died of that. its legs seemed to rot. the poor thing died days later

B

brian

the best solution is to put a sprinkling of the powder found in spectogram (aquatronics fish medicine) enough to season the water. It should turn to a yellow color. This should solve the bacterial problems and stop the disease. One of mine lost a leg to this, but it since has regenerated and he has small fingers growing (about 6 months time) any other questions, brianjolney@hotmail.com

H

hannah

hi, my name is hannah. i bought a chinese fire bellied newt 2 days ago. it was in a tank with crabs and it appeared the crabs had eaten his fore limb so i bought him to save him. the wound has a white spot that i thought was bone but now i`m worried cos he spends most of his time on the rocks. this is my first time buying one. please help i`m worried.
cry.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!