Burrowing question, newbie

H

howard

I just got my Texas Barred sallie yesterday and I brought him home and he went right over to the side of the water dish. I went in the the other room and ate dinner. When I came back he was nowhere to be found. I didnt get worried, figured he was in a cave or something. This morning he was nowhere to be found. Tonight I came home and you are right, nowhere! I looked inside and lifted the water dish and he was burrowed under there. Is that okay, I thought he may not be able to get out from there. He is now in cave. If he goes underground again how long will he stay under there burrowed? How will he eat? I am a newbie sorry for dumb questions. Or is he hibernating? I am a bit confused between burrowing and hibernating. If they burrow does that mean they are happy with their home? Any help would be great. Thanks!

A tiger salamander is a type of <u>mole</u> salamander. So it's no surprize it's burrowing.

But what about all my other concerns? SO a tiger is the same as a texas barred?

If he's burrowing he must like the substrate. Barred is a subspecies of the tiger salamander - (ambystoma mavortium mavortium). If you're sure he isn't eating, you can always go digging if you have to.

My tiger salamander sometimes burrows for weeks at a time, during which I don't disturb him, since I have discovered that when he chooses to emerge, he is just as plump as he was the last time I fed him. So I feed him whenever he is above ground---if your substrate is moist and alkaline enough, your salamander will enjoy being his "mole" self in it. I know that doesn't make for the most exciting pet in the world, but that's just the way these guys are!
uhoh.gif

got any tips for marbled salamander care.I am thinking of buying one
I am 12 years old and already have two white's tree frogs.

Philip Allen

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back