Hellbender???

E

enes

I was wondering if it is legal to keep these as pets and where you can get them
and any other info possable.
aquarium size?how big?

Yes it is possible to legally obtain them. BUT most of the ones offered for sale are most likely illegally collected. It is still legal to colect them in WV, KY and maybe PA, but you might need a fishing license.

These salamanders are only suitable for advanced hobbyists who want to try and breed them, but not suitable as pets. They require specific care and an aquarium of no less than 55 gallons. I suggest that anyone interested in keeping hellbenders, either collect your own or don't keep them. Otherwise you are supporting the commercial trade in a species that cannot handle commercial collection at this point.

I agree with Erik. Ohh and I would go min. 75-120 gallon long tank. You might also need a nice chiller, depending.

breeding? good luck and let us know. LOL

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back