New salamanders

S

s.

hello all...first time here...we have just obtained two yellow spotted and one red slider. the red slider is eating the bloodworms offered but the yellow spotted are not interested at all. help!!!! They don't seem big enough to tackle a cricket...do you think that would be my best bet though?

okay, i have a red SLIDER salamander (i think)...funny though because i do have a red ear turtle also but definitely not in the same environment.
i will try the earthworms. do you know if these can be purchased at a pet store? not sure what to do come winter...
we found the red slider in the same location as the yellow spotted sals so i assume they have the same requirements. we have reproduced their environment the best we can and are spraying to keep it damp...lots of rocks, twigs and hiding places. we are committed to taking proper care of these cute little creatures.

redback salamander sorry...forgive me i am new...LOL
We did find both varieties under the same big rock?? I know it is not acceptable to catch them and keep them but we are anal about doing the right thing so i have high hopes. The redback is eating the blood worms with no problem so he is doing fine.

I agree with Mike. The redbacks would probably become a meal for the spotted sals, and if not now, then when they grow a little bit. It sounds like your spotteds are still juveniles - probably recent morphs, which makes sense because they are the only size that I would expect to see commonly at this time of year. Plus they probably look not all that much bigger than the redbacks right now. But believe me, that will change, and an adult could easily eat a redback with no problem.

Seh, Best of luck. If the redback's eating bloodworms, then you should continue to feed it bloodworms (although i recommend chopped earth worms whenever possible). But definately seperate the spotteds, give them lots of stuff to hide under, and try feeding them earthworms or small crickets.

Darn it, I can't believe that the spotted and the redback can't cohabitate...I wonder why they were together when we found them??

Okay...so here is my follow up. We separated the two types of salamanders...the red back is eating no problem...the spotted we are not sure of...how can we tell?

hand feed them. Hold a worm (or cricket) in front of their face (usually using tweezers, as to not scare them with a gigantic hand) and see if they eat.

Update...I purchased a few baby crickets and put them in with the spotteds...can you tell me if the worms need to be near or in the water dish? i am not sure how we will know if they are eating or not without seeing them. We have been trying the tweezers but they are not really interested...red back still eating like a pig and my red ear slider turtle loves those little bloodworms...he is in heaven...LOL he is a baby and so darn cute...i love them all though and hopefully we will see the crickets start to disappear and know that they are eating. thanks for your info, help and the links.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back