Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Buying larval tigers?

E

emily

I was wondering if anyone here has ever seen an online store where larval tiger salamanders can be purchased? I started looking around fish stores and reptile/amphibian stores several months ago in hopes to find one but no luck. firebellies and Paddletails seem to be the only thing anyone ever carries. I read on here that they can be found at some baitstores. I asked at a few bait shops and sporting goods stores, they had no idea what I was talking about. I guess it seems like they are more commonly found in bait shops in the south? I found one bait store online that sells them individually, they were all out though. The only other online bait shop I found them at had a minimum purchase of 25. I dunno what I'd do with 25! At that store, you'd end up paying $50 plus shipping...

Aaaah, I'm getting frusterated! I've gone salamander searching a few times in damp areas, I guess around here a lot of people find them in their window wells. I don't think anyone living by the ponds would by the "I'm just snooping around your windows cause I'm looking for salamanders" story! I'd love a tiger salamander period, but a larval one would just be the best! The search continues, but I thought I'd see if anyone had some tips on tracking these guys down! I don't think the DNR would be very happy if I bought a load of them from another state and let them free here. Don't want to spread anything in the salamander community... But gosh I was seriously considering ordering from that website last night!
I'm rambling now, sorry :D
Emily

J

jeff

You may have some luck looking under logs, near water sources, but I would be hesitent to keep anything you find in the wild, it is not really fair for a newt or salamander to get picked up and turned into a pet.

I would check the classifieds on this site, and look for something captive bred. Mabye a newt would be a good first choice. I know I have very young p.waltl right now that I would ship to you.

A

abrahm

A Minnesotan! Hi!
happy.gif

I've been having a harder time finding tiger salamanders around also. I have a feeling they may be in decline.

Have you thought about keeping axolotls? If you like larval tiger salamanders, axolotls look very similar and are very closely related. They are bred exclusively in captivity so you don't have to worry about one being pulled out of the wild. They come in a variety of colors and are reasonably easy to care from and they are usually quite healthy if acquired from a good source, like this website.

You can check out some info and pictures of Axolotls here. Part of the Caudata Culture pages of this website, a treasure trove of salamander and newt information.

A

annmarie

Please do not kidnap the wild salamanders. I know where I live salamanders are dissapearing, mostly to subdivisions...So sad. Heck, I don't even find toads in window wells anymore. suburban spawl and bad land development will be the end of us all.
In some places they use larval tiger salamanders as fishing bait, If you really want one, you can try a bait shop. Probably not the most healthy...but you can keep them from being fish food.

Are you looking for a larval one for the joys of morphing or do you just wish to always have a neonetic tiger salamander? If yes to the second part, like Abrahm Simons suggest, an axolotl is for you. The "wild type" colouration of an axolotl is similar to tiger salamander.

Well, goodluck finding your salamander. Maybe you can find some larva from a breeder. Herp and explore as much as you want. Free the trapped salamanders in window wells. Just please do not kidnap a little wild salamander.

E

emily

Thanks everybody :D

Oh no, I really don't want to take a wild salamander to keep. I suppose I would rather see them, hopefully get some pictures. Gosh I would be so excited if I actually found one and could take a picture! They're such beautiful little guys.

As for one to keep, I would like to have a larval tiger because I think they look amazing - they're not only cute but the morphing process they go through would be great to be able to watch! In my store search, I did find a reptile store that carried axolotls. Oh my gosh I fell in love with them, they beautiful. I'd read a little bit about them but not enough to feel confident in buying one. Impulse buys are no good when it comes to pets, too many things can go wrong for them! I've been to a few websites since then and read the care information on this website too. Definitly a critter I would love to get someday. And since I love their look so much, I've been debating if I should get one instead since they seem more readily availble than Tigers. But... I love the transformed tiger and that would certainly be my first choice.

J

jeff

Yes, same newt.

And axolotls are not difficult to keep at all, in fact, your biggest problem will most certainly be keeping them cool in the summer.

K

kara

bait shops in southern states carry "water dogs"-tiger salamander larvae.

S

shelly

shame your not in england or i would swop with you. i wanted a wild type axolotl and ended up with a water dog by mistake.
angry.gif

the shop that sold the axolotls....ask them to ask their whole saler about the salamander. my loal pet shop is happy to order me stuff they dont sell as long as the whole saler stocks it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1