Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What do you guys think about my fb newts tank?

S

sandra

Top view:
url]

Side view:
url]

A

abrahm

A larger cage would certainly be appreciated by your little newt.

I would personally want to include more water in the enclosure and would probably fill it to 1 or 1.5 inches below it's capacity. This would serve two purposes: providing more volume to dilute waste products produced by your newt and also giving your newt more exercise.

I would remove the rocks/gravel and either use a thin layer of sand on the bottom or leave it bare. This will make it easier for you to clean up uneaten food and waste which at the moment will sink between the rocks and rot, quickly fouling your water.

You can easily make a sufficient land area by using floating aquatic plants like elodea or hornwort. I have had great success with the latter. You could also use a piece of corkbark, which will stain the water brown, especially in such a small enclosure.

Don't forget to include a few hides like smaller flowerpots or little resin fish pieces.

You should also regularly change the water in such a small aquarium. At least every week. A small sponge filter would also be a good investment.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1