Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

C.O. Hatched Need Advise.

J

john

Well the egg hatched and I have a baby C.O. I know I dont need to feed it for at least a day. I will chop up live blackworms and try that tomorrow. I will also put some frozen bloodworms in there. I found a couple more eggs, but the embryo inside is not developed and is whitish in color. Does that mean they are dead. Please let me know right away. Thx

p.s. Do you think a 50/50 water change would be too stressful to do today or will the little one be ok during it. I just dont want to stress it out.

B

benjamin

I think you should give it at least four days before you feed it. And don't try frozen bloodworms, live daphnia are best. unless the eggs are fuzzy or don't have a brownish pole in addition to a white one then they could be fine.

J

john

why not frozen. i have no way of getting daphnia exept over the net. were is a good place to get them.

J

john

woops, double posted sry. I did the water change cause I read it is very important to keep the water clean for the youngin. I dont see any white sack attached to it though. Does this mean it needs to eat because it doesnt have that little sack?

J

jennifer

Don't put in frozen bloodworms, as they will decay. Chopped blackworms will stay alive (even in small pieces). Also, you can pick out just the smallest blackworms to begin with.

The yolk sac is just the light-colored area of the abdomen. It's not very obvious, especially when you look from above.

What kind of container are you keeping the larva in? Don't be afraid to do massive water changes. As long as your water is the same from one day to the next, it's fine.

If you do want daphnia, the best (cheapest) place to get them is www.dallasdiscus.com

J

john

thx so much jennifer. I was hoping to here from you. The little guy swam around abit during the water change and then hid in some of the fake plants. I have it in a rubbermaid container about 16 inches long and 5-6 inches high. I have it filled with about an inch of water and some plastic plants for the little guy to hide in. When should I try to feed it. Also, my other egg has just a little cream colored ball inside. Is it dead or should I wait and see. Does it matter if I get manga or pulex cultures, or are both fine.

(Message edited by nuggular on February 09, 2005)

J

john

I still need some advise on the stuff posted above Ed's. Thx.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!