Black marks on t. gran

ali

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Display Name
Alison Brown
I know before I even write this that a picture would be most helpful, but I just don't have access to a camera.
sad.gif

My largest and oldest t. gran (I don't know how old he is, just that he's older than my other one) has recently aquired black spots all over his body.

The spots vary in size and shape, but are always black. They look like someone took a marker (NO ONE TOOK A MARKER, THIS IS JUST WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE) a drew someone square and rectangle spots on his body. He had one on the top of his head for a few days, and now they go all down his back. For the most part, they're in a somewhat straight pattern, just longways down his back, like a few tiger stripes.

It's possible that he's spending a little more time on land maybe, but no real changes in attitude, still eats well. No spots on the underside, just on the brown part.

Any ideas?

I found that mine get a lot of dark spots just before shedding.

Hmm. That's interesting. I think he just shed recently, but I'll look out for that. Thanks.
happy.gif

It may also have something to do with it being more terrestrial. But I can't really say for sure.

(Message edited by Joan on June 25, 2006)

Well, the spots are gone now, so I think it must have been the shedding. Although I didn't see it shed, I think it may have.

It probably was the shedding. My nvv's skin turns almost black in many areas right before a shed.

I've only seen mine shed when they've gone to the vet. I've only caught one of my newts shedding at any other time, and he was almost done eating it.

Really? I've seen mine shed alot. Maybe that's a sign that I stare at my newts too much!
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back