Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Uh oh 64 degrees! Please help!

ryan

Reaction score
Bart's (mudpuppy) tank has reached 64 degrees F today and this is the temperature that most people say is the maximum for a mudpuppy, CC is the only place that said 68 degrees F is max. Should I start using frozen water bottles now? Will the sudden drop in temperature hurt Bart, the plants, or the important bacteria?

If I do start putting the bottles in the tank, will this be a good schedule for changing them?:

put new bottle in when I wake up around 6:30-7:00 A.M.

take out the one from the morning and put a new one in at around 3:00-3:30 P.M.

take out the afternoon one and put in a new one at around 9:00 P.M

then back to the morning at 6:30

Does this sound good??

D

dawn

Hi Ryan,
Why don't you experiment tomorrow and Sunday, since it's the weekend and you don't have to go to school. Put one iced bottle in to start, measure the temperature every 15 minutes, see how long the bottles take to melt; maybe for now since it's cooler out you can use smaller bottles (plastic soda or water bottles) and when it's really hot in the summer try the larger quart, 1/2 gallon or gallon waterbottles? They'll melt faster later in the season when it's hotter. I don't think there's really a set answer for this; I think you'll have to experiment. I think you're smart and will be able to figure this out by experimenting and taking frequent temperature measurements.

K

kaysie

Ryan, you have to replace the bottle before it melts completely, or you will get fluctuations in temperature, which is more stressful than a warm tank.

Gallon water jugs aren't usually feasible as they don't freeze very well. Half-gallon jugs work better.

ryan

Reaction score
Alright I'll try right now, I'll keep you updated with the temperature drop/melting time.

ryan

Reaction score
8:10 A.M- 63.1 degrees (before ice)
8:25 A.M- 62.7 degrees
8:40 A.M- 62.5 degrees
8:55 A.M- 62.5 degrees
9:05 A.M- 62.7 degrees (the thermometer fluctuates sometimes)

So thats over about an hours time, I will post again in another hour. The ice still seems pretty unmealted.

ryan

Reaction score
Here is another hour, I'm not going to do anymore updates after this one the temp seems to be leveling out at 61 degrees.

9:20 A.M- 61.7 degrees
9:35 A.M- 61.7 degrees
9:50 A.M- 61.8 degrees (another flucuation)
10:05 A.M- 61.8 degrees
10:20 A.M- 61.2 degrees

It melted after 3 hours. I replaced the thawed bottle with a new one. This will obviously not work out while I'm at school so hopefully it won't get to hot before summer vacation. I will still do my best to keep up on the bottles during the last 43 days of school.

(Message edited by i_love_necturus on April 21, 2007)

D

dawn

How big are the bottles you're using? I wonder if they'd melt slower if you tried a bigger one, or maybe rubber band two smaller ones together. (Just an idea, I'm no temperature expert).

F

foster

Ryan,
It is only April and we are probably looking at least several heat waves this summer, with outside temperatures getting much hotter than they are now. You are going to have a long summer of changing out water bottles. Perhaps you should consider a more permanent solution (at least for the summer). Is there anyway that you could place the animal at a friends house (who has a cool basement)? That is what I am going to have to do to my entire collection next month while work is being done at my house.
Chip

ryan

Reaction score
Well my basement is pretty cool most of the time except it gets hot with the heat waves. I will probably be getting AC down there this summer too, I think I'll be fine.

Dawn the bottles are 1 QT each.

I got the temperature down to the high 50s using the bottles (which is a blessing). Like I said I will be getting AC so I might not have to use the bottles. Lastly, I think this isn't to much work as I have a lot of free time and its worth it. Bart also keeps me busy so I'm not being lazy.

ryan

Reaction score
I won't be leaving a bottle in the tank overnight (I just removed the last bottle) because it cools down enough at night. Also the bottles didn't freeze in 7 hours! I have to freeze them overnight I guess!

D

dawn

I forgot if she is in your basement now already or in your room? Does any room in your home have AC?
You can get an AC unit for $100 or a little less for a small room. I think I got a couple last year for $89.

(Message edited by otterwoman on April 21, 2007)

ryan

Reaction score
She is in my redone basement (its heated but I shut the heat off of course). The only place in my house with AC is the kitchen and there is no were to put her up there.

D

dawn

If you don't have money yourself, you can ask your parents for an AC unit for your next birthday present, or whatever you all celebrate. Or else it's almost lawn-mowing season...

ryan

Reaction score
I've been saving, but I will probably be getting one anyway for my own personal comfort.

J

joseph

How high up is the tank? Can you put it on the floor? The lower placement in and of itself will help.

ryan

Reaction score
The tank is about 4 feet off the ground on a ledge. I can't put it on the ground for a number of reasons. It seems like I'm fine for temp right now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1