Help...know nothing about newts...

S

sandy

Hi.....I know absolutely nothing about newts....but there are a few that have appeared in my pond...one looks decidedly poorly....absolutely bloated looking and it sticks to the surface and edge..At first I thought it was pregnant...but I'm not sure if she or he is simply not well...If there is aproblem then I would like to try and help...if there isn't then I am happy to let nature take it's course...ANY advice welcome.

Sandy

It could be a condition called bloat. If you do a search on this site, it will tell you about it and show you some pictures so you can decide if that's what you're indeed observing. Unfortunately, with some illnesses, once symptoms appear, the illness is rather far gone. Bloat can be due to several things as well, and as I've found out newt illnesses are not particularly easy to cure/treat.

Thank You for all your feedback...I have read the article and I am fairly sure that this newt has bloat.....This morning she is in the same area of the pond...still on the surface...alive...but not very active...There are others in the pond which appear to be well and very active...Sould I take this newt out of the pond?...and if so how should I care for her?...So far....I have just left things up to nature...which I generally think is the best course of action.

Sandy

I think you should just leave it there. You have done your best.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back