Tiger Salamander feeding

C

christian

I just caught a tiger salamander, and decided to keep him. I did some research and am now feeding him earthworms(untill it snows) and crickets, along with reptile vitamins. My problem is that I am unsure how much i should feed him and how often? Right now i've been feeding him 2 crickets a day and every other day giving him vitamins, but he always seems to be hungry.

Earthworms are a good staple. I feed adult tigers (about 8 inches) about 2 inches of worm 3x a week, give or take. If it starts to look skinny, feed it more. If it looks really fat, feed it less.

In the winter, you can usually find earthworms at walmart.

(Message edited by joan on September 27, 2006)

I like to mix up my feed-I feed woodlice, slugs, mealworms and crickets at the moment(with very occasional waxworm), and try to not let them feed more frequently than every two to three days-although they will occasionally burrow and disapear for long periods-but they "come back" when they are hungry and beg for food. I tend to dust prey items every week or so with a calcium supplement. What i believe to be quite important is variation-both in quantity and type of food- Providing they get the neccessary nutrients in the correct ratio!

Further update-mine have started to take locusts too-so that puts my feeding list at crickets, locusts, earthworms, mealworms, waxworms, woodlice and slugs.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back