Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Worm ID?

mike

Reaction score
One of my tanks has an outbreak of these brownish worms:

11632.jpg

They are very soft, do not appear to be segmented, crawl with the pointed end forwards, come in a range of sizes up to about 1.25 inches and emerge to crawl up the glass after dark or if I water the substrate heavily. I realize this is very difficult from just a photo, but can anyone ID these, and are they likely to be harmful?
Thanks.

J

john

I've no idea what they are but I do think they're very interesting little beasties. I wonder if one could culture them for live food? That's assuming of course that they're harmless.

C

cataldo

It reminds me of Ascaris lumbricoides. I know this doesnt help much and Im not right.

Is it a type of roundworm? (Nematoda)?

With over 4,000 worms out there, it's hard to know.

J

john

4,000 worms? Maybe 4,000 nematodes described (not sure) but I'm sure there are a lot more.

mike

Reaction score
Aha, the following information from Lars Österdahl via frognet:
They are nemerteans. Some call them snoot worms. Your measurement is a little high for the most common one;
and they use to be white-ish, not brown), Then they are not dangerous to the frogs, but they eat fruitflies, springtails (and also earthworms), so they will compete for the food.
What they do when they find frogs eggs is uncertain...
There is little chance that you will ever get rid of them.
Nemerteans are mainly marine animals. Some get pretty big, but these semi-terrestrial species don't get bigger than this.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1