Question about Newt's death

T

toscha

We just purchased 2 great newts a week ago Sat. and this morning one is under the water and covered with a thick layer of white film (looks like cotton). My young daughter is just hoping it is having babies (it was on the plump side), but doesn't look right to me. My question - is there any way to know what might have happened to it? The other one seems just fine and we haven't had them long. Any wisdom or suggestions would be welcomed - we love these little pets and we have always had great luck with them, except for escapees in the past, so we haven't had to deal with the death issue before.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

wfamily mom

If it's covered in white hairs it is either fungal infection or just the newt decaying after death. The fact that it was plump might mean it had bloat, but if it could fully submerge probably not. In any case it should be removed from the tank to keep any thing from spreading to the other one.

Also, what kind of newts are these?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back