Scared of filter?

B

beth

I have my T. granulosa newts in a 10 gal tank, it wasn't staying clean, so I bought a filter today, changed the water, and put it in along with a new floaty island ramp thing. I put the newts of the island, and left... and came home from work and they were still on the island. One is usually more aquatic than the other. I put them in the water, and the started to swim frantically... but when I turned the filter off, they calmed down. Any ideas?

I noticed this also with my newts. I have been observing this lately and I think that if your filter is touching any walls of the aquariums it vibrates the aquarium. It may look like a slight vibration to us, but to them it could be extremely annoying and stressful.

alot of newts are stressed by the current created by filter outflow. try putting a large plant infront of the filter to disperse the flow of water a bit, and see if that makes a difference. i have to say though, my two granulosa aren't afraid of anything.

That is strange Beth, Tarichas are usually good swimmers. However, as recommended by Peter and Blake, putting some foam around the intake valve and minimizing the vibration will do much for your animals' comfort.

Another thing I would examine is why your tank is not remaining clean. Is it overcrowded, are you overfeeding, how often do you do water changes, etc.? Many times salamander enclosures do fine without powerful filters.

is it a new tank? maybe it hasn't gone through a proper bacteria cycling yet! that could be a cause of the water getting cloudy

yea, it's a new tank... it was getting yucky because I had aquarium moss in it. I don't feed the newts in the tank, I take them out and put them in a smaller enclosure. Thank you everyone for the advice

hmm they still haven't gone into the water as of today, and the filter is off. I'm really worried about them
sad.gif

It might well be that the water is bad, especially as it hasn't cycled.
Get a liquid test kit, and post the readings for us, ok?

where can I find one? They still don't go in the water... but they still have a very healthy appetite thankfully.

do any of you know i could get one of those test kits? i don't have any pet shops in my area just a wallmart and i couldn't find them there.

Most pet shops, even Petsmart, would have a basic test kit. I googled pet shops in La Grande, Oregon, and got this:
http://66.77.85.5/yellowpages/gif/PNDY/DEFAULT_P100135581_thumb.jpg
I'm sure that place would have them, and probably be the kind of place that could give you good advice to go with it.

Being 15, transportation might be the real problem for you. In that case, there are many online pet product stores that sell them. Good luck!

hmmm t.gran scared of filter? i have never seen it. i had to buy a new filter because they kept trying to hide inside it. water testing is a must i usually let the water sit overnight and De-Chlorinating before changing. you can boost the beneficial bacteria by using a rock or decor from an established aquarium, but be careful not to transfer anything bad to your newts. as far as water test kits they are a dime a dozen on the net.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back