My FB Newt

S

suzanne

I need a little bit of help! I just got my newt,about 5 days ago. I'm using bottled water in his tank(like i do with all of my fish) but he stays on land. Is this possibly because he is not use to where he is yet? Or could it be that he dosent like the bottled water? or maybe its to cold for him? I Have it at room temp. I put him in to the water and he just gets right back out! I was so conserned for him that i even went out and got a bigger tank, so that he could have more places to go...but he just says on the one side of the tank, and wont even swim to the other side to get to his rock. Any Ideas? I really need some help! I really want to keep him alive and well!
Thanks
Smitti

Newts need cold tempurature. The water is probably to hot. 69F and below are the best temps. They can withstand very cool temps as low as 45F in the winter. So keep the water temp low. If you can get it to stay around 69F than make some ice cubes with the bottled water and put them in the tank to cool down the water. I had to do this like 3 times a day during the summer. So dont worry about the water being to cold. They love cold water. Anything above 70F and they start to stress out anything above 75F and they might stress enough to die. Dont start to panic until the temps rise above 75F, but try not to let it get that warm. 69F and below will make the newt very happy. If you need anymore help, just ask. As I am sure you have many more questions.

Thanks for all of the help....I'm using Our Compliments Natural Spring Water in his tank...I dont think that his water is to hot because it it quite cool to the touch! Thanks again for all the great information to help a beginner like me!

Fingers are an incredibly bad tool for telling the temperature of something!!! Get a thermometer! Once you get a thermometer then you can tell things are fine. Anywhere between 8 and 20ºc is a good temperature for your newts, though probably to cold for most humans.

ya you have a good point there....i knew that fingers never tell the truth about temps....

I have been putting water on him because he has been close to drying out....is it possible that this is y he isnt going in to the water?

He Has Finally goes in to thewater....and now he hardly ever comes out!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back