Belly full of bubbles, whats going on?

I

iced01

My larvae has a belly full of bubbles, and it is making him float on top of the water. What can I do to get rid of it? Will it pass naturally? What caused it?

I've only experienced that once. I transferred the larvae to a shallow bowl of water with an almost moss like plant in it. This way it could shoot itself into the moss and stay in a normal position.

The next day it looked normal again and I returned it to the regular tank.

Did it still float? Is it just gas that caused the bubbles?

Mine had clearly visible bubbles in its stomach area. It could still swim but would then float upwards and at an odd angle.

With the moss it could get itself "stuck" so it wouldn't float upward and maintain a more normal position.

The next day it was swimming and floating like a normal larvae again.

How old/big is your larvae. This happened to one of mine in its first two weeks.

What some people have done(and what I tried with success) is to put the larvae in a very shallow container of water(just enough to completely cover the larvae). Then, put in lots of small live food for the larvae. It should eat well and eventually fill its stomach with food rather than gas bubbles.

(Message edited by fishkeeper on May 25, 2005)

Will brine shrimp work. My larvae is about 3 weeks old, there are clearly visible large bubbles. I put him in shallow water yesterday and today he is looking a little better. There are less bubbles and he isn't floating as bad.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back