Warm water newts?

J

jamie

I'm looking to add some newts to my half-land/half-water paludarium. I just upgraded to a 40 gallon tank and now have 20 gallons of just water. I read online that newts couldn't handle warm water temperatures but i wanted to see what you guys thought of that. My tank is usually between 74 and 78 degrees. At my local pet shop they keep their newts in 78 degree water and they seem to do just fine. Also, where would be the best place to get cool newts? Do pet shops make special orders for particular species?

Also, my tank is far from empty. The newts would be sharing space with 6 firebellied toads, 1 green tree frog, 5 zebra danios (2 of whom are Glofish), 2 large Mollies, 6 guppies, 1 male betta, 3 Amano shrimp, and 1 wood shrimp. I also have some snails in the tank.

I don't think newts should be added to a tank with other fish/animals, partly due to newts' toxicity. Also I think the temp should be kept lower than mid 70's. 60's is ideal, maybe 70 degrees tops but not warmer than that.

Jamie,
Karen is right, your temps are too warm for newts. Also, it sounds as if you have too many animals in there already. The firebelly toads and the green treefrog are not a good mix. The mollies require different water conditions than the other fish and the days are numbered for those shrimp (being combined with the fish and frogs, not to mention the water quality). Also, it is always good to research the care requirements of anything that you decide to take in and to NOT rely on the advice of most petshop employees (they will most often tell you what you want to hear in order to make the sale).
Chip

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Jennifer Macke wrote on Tuesday, 31 January, 2006 - 04:24 :</font>

"And you don't see the ones that "didn't make it". "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
I've seen the ones that don't make it, and the ones that won't make it for another week, and I'm sure you have too Jen.
Jamie, the first thing you must learn about pet stores is that, for the most part, they know next to nothing about caring for newts or any other "herp" for that matter. Take anything they tell you with a grain of salt.

Jamie,
I too have taken the advise of a "pet shop" employee. I bought a Axolotl, and ended up with a Tiger salamander. This site and the advise has been a blessing for both me and my pets.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back