Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Looking to get second T.Grans

M

michelle

Hi,
I am looking to get a second T.Granulosa especially now after finding out from Ester & others that they seem happier in groups (this is my excuse, but I'm dying to get another). Anyway
I like to quarantine the new edition and was given a good suggestion in a different thread to use a Rubbermaid bin and a prematured sponge filter. Sounds reasonable enough to me but I don't presently have a sponge filter. If I pick one up today how long would it take to premature it? Or can I use some of the water from the already established tank mix it with dechlorinated water and use a sponge filter. How often & how much water should be changed? I have never used a sponge filter or any tank size less than a 10gallon. Also how long should quarantine. I have been reading many threads & I am reading 30 days in some 60 days in others is their any specified time or is it all a matter of opinion & how the new one is eating and behaving. If anyone has other suggestions as to HOW & HOW LONG they quarantined their latest edition please feel free to throw out your method or any suggestions they are welcomed and appreciated. I'm sure everyone has their own method & I'm very interested in as many ideas as possible. If Ester happens to read this, up in the photo gallery you posted a picture of your newt in quarantine "Wishful thinking.. taricha dreams of a better place". What is your set up? It looks interesting. Thanks. Michelle

E

ester

For quarantine:
I used a 30x30x30cm box, with 2 cm of dirt, a shallow water dish (also 2cm of water). I made sure they ate from tweezers regularly before moving them into the larger setup. In total the shortest stay was 3 weeks, the longest stay was 6 weeks. Once they start eating regularly, their skin looks healthy, no coughing/sneezing type actions are observed I tend to move them.

The main setup:
100 cm x 40 cm x 50 cm. There are a few glued pieces of glass that create a land area (bridge). The water level is approximately 20 cm, there is a cork bark ramp leading out of the water on both sides and a piece of aquarium wood which they can also climb in the center.
The plant I use is a prayer plant, the version that stays close to the ground. This provides hiding spots for the newts when they leave the water.

M

michelle

Thanks Ester.
Does anyone have an opinion of a bin,tank water & dechlorinated water with a new sponge filter?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!