Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Keeping a wild caught salamander

thomas

Reaction score
Hi, I have been reading all day and searching for relevent info on a pair(actually 4) salamanders I found. I let 2 go, but I want to keep the big one and one of the small ones. They are long toe salamanders I think. I found them in a really small pond. I read the care sheets on them and it says they need to be kept in a tarririum, but they were in the pond, under the water. I thought that they were lervae, but they have no gills and one is much to big to be that young, about 4 inches.

I guess what I am wondering is this- should I keep them or should I put them back in the pond? I have kept tigers for years and I would like to keep them, but not if this particular species does not do well in captivity. Any help would be great. Also, I find it strange that they would be in the water, i was told before and I read a few posts that state that salamanders will drown in water, yet these were almost walking in the shallow part of the pond. Has anyone seen that before?

S

safeer

ive red that its fine to keep them but sometimes they carry infections if they are wild and that you need to now what there proper spieces are to feed them and all that!

J

jennifer

I think there is a good chance that their preference for water versus land depends on temperature. Once you bring them indoors, they will probably stop staying in water. Your best bet would be to give them a setup where they can choose water versus land and see what they do. If you do keep them, it would be bad to release them later, as they can pick up germs in captivity and then take them back to infect wild sals, so be sure you are committed to keeping them.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1