Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Vet visit #2

K

karen

Just got back from another vet visit (different vet) for my newt, Paul. One thing both vets seemed to agree on was the use of a UV light source, which I ordered and will pick up tomorrow. Until now, I had been using a regular fluorescent bulb and thought that was adequate.

This vet did prescribe some meds, a baytril oral suspension (1 drop in 10 mls of water) along with a calcium supplement (0.5 ml). Paul is supposed to bathe in it for 2 hrs twice a day. Has anyone used baytril or calcium/vitamin supplements (or has a UV light)?

It seems like there so little that can be done since newts are so small (the first vet did take a x-ray and didn't see anything odd, although it wasn't a close-up x-ray).

Wish me (and Paul) luck!!

J

juston

I use a uv light on my firebellied newt for about 2 weeks now and hes fine. I use it mainly because of the live plants but he doesnt seem to care and as long as they have hiding places where they can get out of the light than I wouldnt think it would be a problem.

Good Luck!

K

karen

I picked up the light yesterday, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't something positive.

Has anyone used baytril and can comment on it? Or have any other remedies they've used that works?

J

jennifer

Paris Reilley, paging Paris Reilley... (she has used baytril). Also, you can try doing a search on the word "baytril" and you'll find some old threads.

From what I've been told, there is no scientific evidence of caudates requiring UV light. However, it's possible that some do. It's also possible that your vets are simply giving advice based on their knowledge of reptiles, and it's irrelevant to caudates.

K

karen

The logic presented for the UV light was that it aids in the absorption of calcium. I don't know whether or not my newts are/were lacking in calcium but I figured I'd try the light out anyway.

E

ester

I checked the book Amphibian medicine and captive husbandry on the subject of (water source)calcium and light.

Amphibians may be able to absorb and lose calcium through their skin. "Distilled or reverse osmosis water contain none of the elements required by amphibians and should not be used without modification." (page 156)

When using a lamp, look for one that provides UV-B. Make sure the lamp is not behind a glass or plastic cover as this will reduce the UV-B output. (page 56)

I

ian

So, should we all start using UV-B light for the best of our caudate?

Is UV-B hotter than flourecent?

J

joan

I've also used baytril, as a topical solution. I believe it was a 10% solution, but can't be certain. I had no problems with it.

I think if your animals are lacking in calcium, a better bet would be to feed them calcium-supplimented foods. Getting a good quality cricket dust and dusting your foods would be beneficial (for everyone, not just those with sick animals).

K

karen

The thing is, neither vet seemed to be sure that there was any problem with calcium deficiency. One even took and x-ray and nothing appeared out of the ordinary. I understand it is difficult to treat such a tiny animal, but it's frustrating nonetheless. Both were surprised that I wasn't using a UV light though, so that's why I went out to get one (even though I was wondering if that "diagnosis" was based more on reptilian knowledge rather than amphibian). I will get some dusting powder when I go to the pet store this week, however my sick little guy still isn't interested in eating anything.

Ester, where can one purchase that amphibian medicine book? Are they available in regular bookstores or do they have to be ordered specially from someplace?

E

edward

Regarding the use of UV lighting and amphibians...
When purchasing bulbs for UV usage you need to make sure that the bulb actually produces the wavelengths that correspond to UVB if the goal is to stimulate the conversion from provitamin D to D3 (for a review of MBD and calcium metabolism in general for herps please see http://www.tracyhicks.com/MBD.htm). (I have my doubts that many caudates actively use UVB for conversion of provitamin D3 given thier fossorial and nocturnal lifestyle. It may be of some use for those animals that are routinely diurnally active like Notopthalmus). Many of the bulbs on the market while listing themselves as fullspectrum do not produce wavelengths in the UVB spectrum but instead they produce in the UVA spectrum. According to the literature many amphibians can see in the UVA spectra and at least in some herps and birds, is an important part of thier behavior. Whether this is something used by most caudates is unlikely given thier nocturnal behaviors.
In addition to not having the lighting pass through glass or screen most flourescent UV producing bulbs need to be closer than 18 inches to the animal to gain any benefit from the exposure and about 12 inches is closer to optimal.
I would suggest providing shaded areas that the animal can use to escape the exposure to UVB as at least some herps will regulate thier exposure to UVB if given the option.

You can order a copy of Amphibian Medicine and Captive Husbandry off of Amazon.com or through Krieger press but the cost usually starts around $125 and goes up from there.

Ed

J

joan

The cost, however, is well worth it. Especially if your herp vet is not overly educated in amphibians (as most are schooled with basic reptile knowlege). I've found it's come in handy on more than one occasion.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!