When will my WC eastern red spotted newt efts transform?

J

john

They are (2) in a 10g natural setup. I'll elaborate if need be, but ive got work in a few minutes lol.

How will I know when they are ready?

what color are they. I say, enjoy them as efts, they grow up sooo fast.

Seriously, i have read that some dont ever mature.

John
I have had red efts reach maturity in just under a year.
You will know when they are maturing as the orange will fade, and they will take on the adult coloration.

Be sure to note that they can stay efts for up to 7 years in some cases. Just be patient.

I've done tons of research, I know it can take a while.

Will they begin to turn and then I should add more water or will they turn IF there is water?

I suspect some of those questions are impossible to answer. Each locality of newts has its own timetable, and captivity or the presence of water may or may not affect it. I don't think these things are known.

It wouldn't hurt to keep a water dish with them (make sure it's easy to get in/out of), but I think you can wait until they change color to provide a significant water area.

Thanks
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back