Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pet Store Question

S

suzanne

I was talking to a person at a pet store near where i live, asking them about my newt not going in to water and different things....But one of the things that this woman said was that "FBN are so stupid that they dont know when they need to go in to the water, so they will dry up and die" i was just wondering how much truth there was to that? because i'm going away for the weekend and my newt wont go in to the water like i mentioned in another post...and i dont want to come home to him dead!
Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
Smitti

J

jennifer

Compared to most advice about newts from pet shop employees, this is actually fairly perceptive. Yes, they will do this, although I wouldn't call it stupid. They are trying to escape to go find a nice moist place to hide. If the newt is in a damp area, it won't happen. They drink through their skin, so as long as they stay moist they will not dry up. If the place where the newt is staying is dry, add a damp paper towel for the weekend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1