Floating newt

I

iced01

My female N.viridecens just floats on top of the water, won't even eat. She has ben that way for 2 days. Her 2 tankmates are fine, what is the matter?

can she sink at all? is she bloated?-if bloated there is a remedy on the CC section, eastern newts are tricky-what temps you got her at?

The temps fine and it's not bloat, she appears to be trying to get out of the water. Almost gasping for air.

Is there an island where she can get out on land? If she swimming frantically, move her to a wet paper towel setup or very very shallow water temporarily.

Oddly enough she stopped for about half a day, then I put in a floating island. I came back about an hour later and she was on top of the tank! I fixed the tank and she is doing well. That is very interesting that she wants out of the tank, her two tankmates seem quite happy just standing on the bottom all day. I guess newts have individual personalities like everyone else.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back