When do larvae get lungs

P

patrick

Hi,
I have karelenii larvae that are nearing metamorphasis. They have been snapping at each other and some of them only have fragments of their gills left. I am pretty sure that these are not due to them being in the act of metamorphasis because many of them have one gill that is mostly there, and one that is bitten off. I would say that when comparing my larvae to the early development in triturus carnifex article on caudata culture (http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/series_T_carn.shtml) my larvae are in between the 7th and 8th picture in the series. I sometimes observe them gulping air from the surface. I guess my question is, should I be worried about the individuals who have recently had their gills bitten off, or do you think they have developed lungs by this point and are ok as far as oxygen goes? Thanks.

Patrick, if the larvae are gulping air it is a good indicator that they have developed lungs. They also still get some oxygen through their skin as well. They should be fine, just maybe give them more space to reduce the rate of cannibalism.

You should notice the tail extension on their back???? disappear as they start to metamorphasize and also when the gills are partially bitten off then they are still quite bushy whereas when they start to shrink they loose their bushiness's hope you understand what i mean.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back