Sick newts

L

laura

I started off with 8 eastern newts. the smallest ones died within a few weeks. then for months the others were fine. now in the last couple of weeks 2 more have died and another has refused to eat for the last 4 days. can anyone tell me what might be wrong with them and what i might be able to do to save the last 3? i haven't done anything different. i feed them chopped earthworms

I don't have any brilliant ideas for you. But I have had similar experiences with eastern newts. It's strange, because I have gotten some that have lived for years (one is over 20), but some batches of them just die out over a few months for no obvious reason. Chopped worms are the best food. The only other problem might be water quality, but if that's good then I have no idea, just a weak bunch.

i suppose i was being over protective. after 4 days of refusing to eat, it finally ate last night. i was probably over feeding them. i am glad to find out someone else has problems with them. i get very attached to even the smallest animals and i was afraid i was doing something wrong. thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back