Chlorine

simon

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Display Name
Simon
How many PPM of Chlorine can salamanders tolerate in water? And Chloramine?
Thanks

On a short-term basis, or long-term? For a fully aquatic animal, or one that is just sprayed? I don't have a specific answer, but I suspect the level tolerated would be quite different, depending on how long the animal were exposed.

Here's a question for you: does your local water have chlorine or chloramine? And at what PPM?

It does not have Chloramine (just wanted to check), but in my area the water contains 6-8 PPM "free chlorine residual." I was wondering because for general use with my tanks (misting, refilling water etc.) I use filtered water, but for wetting dirt, moss and cleaning tanks I use the hose.

I would stick with using filtered water for everything- better safe than sorry, eh? ;-) Spring or well water, distilled water, or reverse osmotic water, with RO water being the best in my mind.

I use dechlorinator and just make up 3 5 gallon buckets (you could do less, but that's usually what I use in an average week) at a time, and refill my mister bottles from that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back