Newt and Salamanders of Virginia

K

kelsey

I live in central Virginia and just moved here from California. The climate and flora here is different than Cali of course and I'm not familiar with the amphibians here. Could someone list what newts/salamanders they know of here?

Here is a much more thorough site
http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/
Perhaps you would be interested in joining the Virginia Herpetological Society? In May, we will be having a survey in Halifax County, that would be a great opportunity to learn a lot of Virginia's native herps and get to know a lot of the herpetologists in Virginia. If you need any more help, I am in southeastern Virginia, Newport News, let me know.

Thanks for your help. About the herpetological society, how old do you have to be? In the spring I love to explore ponds for frogs and such, so I think it may be fun.

Kelsey, if you're near Richmond, there is also a Richmond Herp and Bug Club that meets at (I think) Three Lakes Park. They go on excursions.

There is no age requirement for the Herp society. I know the guys at Three Lakes Nature Center in Henrico county, they have a great herp collection including almost all of the turtles native to Virginia! They do have red spotted newts, mud puppies, and a greater siren on exhibit.

I don't want to be tracked down or anything, but I live in Henrico County! Isn't that ironic? I browsed through the herp society web page and found out that there is no age requirement. I should have looked before asking. Anyway, if you could tell me a little more about the Three Lakes Nature Cennter that would be great. It would probably be in the yellow pages... I'm going to look that up tomorrow. I asked someone from around here for a list of some good hiking places with lakes and ponds. I'll try to check that out this weekend. Today I browsed around my neighborhood and looked in a creek. I found a couple frogs (some really big) but no more red-spotted newts. Thanks for all of your time!

Thanks so much! I think that would be fun.

K. Steele:

"I was just there last week and they are easy to find."

Were you at Three Lakes Nature Center? Was it during a meeting or were you just by yourself? Are newts easier to find at night? Where exactly do you look to find them?

I arranged a meeting time with Wade with my assistant and I to check out their collection. I am sure that they use volunteers, especially ones that have a genuine interest in herps!

Aquatic stuff IS easier to see at night simply because there is no glare from the sun. Get you some knee-high rubber boots and strong flashlight and you will see them if they are there! If you are ever inclined to drive about an hour to SE VA, stop by my place were we will have E Newts on display. I am always doing field work in this area were newts are numerous.
http://www.valivingmuseum.org

I checked out Three Lakes Park this weekend. I didn't find any newts, but I did see there turtle displays and the underwater tank. It was a little disappointing. Perhaps I will look for some newts tonight.

Where are you doing field work where you find all of these newts? If you could let me know where, I could look there. That is, if the area isn't private property or something and is open to the public.

Three lakes is certainly not on the same level as the Philly Zoo (wink wink EdK!) But they are one of the better nature centers. All of their salamander displays were in the same room as the table of skulls. You must have walked by them! Did you talk to Wade when you are there? He would have been able to tell you where to look locally. All of my field sites are either owned by the county or private individuals whom I have personal permission from. If you did not cost to Wade, I recommend calling back during the week and try to get a hold him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back