Moss for Tiger?

C

chris

What type of moss is the most suitable for an adult tiger salamander? I had some leftover spaghum moss from my Emperor Scorpions cage, but I read that type of moss can be deadly for tigers. Any suggestions?

It's stated in a few threads in the forum that sphagnum moss is too acidic for caudates and should not be kept in enclosures. I would do a search in the forum on sphagnum moss to see exactly what was said.

Sphagnum moss is OK. Peat derived from sphagnum moss is too acidic. Mostly your tiger will just want to burrow into soil.

Hi Alan,
It depends on the batch of sphagnum. I ran some tests on the pH of a solution that came from soaking the longfiber sphagnum overnight in distilled water and had a range of pHs from 4.4 to 5.8 with a calibrated pH probe.

Ed

a fellow tiger salamander owner says he uses "green" moss from petsmart. Think this is wise? or should i just stick to the coconut fiber he seems to enjoy digging in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back