Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Found spotted salamander

J

jeff

Need help! I live in NH, its freezing out now and I have a big spotted salamander living in my basement. I think it's been living here for years,
but for some reason it hasn't burrowed anywhere yet, and I'm worried that it will freeze. It's hanging out by my water tank where its moist. Can I put a short box full of soil down there for it to burrow into to hibernate? Does it need to hibernate? Can it stay active in my basement through the winter? I like the dude, or dudette as the case may be...I'm sure it has plenty of spiders to eat down here.}}}

J

jennifer

What is the actual temperature in your basement? It seems unlikely that it would freeze. They don't hibernate, they just slow down as the temp gets cooler. He may be active. Giving him some soil is a nice idea, but I doubt that he would climb up INTO a container, he's more likely to seek hiding places elsewhere. Be sure there is some moisture somewhere for him.

J

jeff

Thanks very much Jennifer!! Big relief...I always prefer not doing anything to something wild. This will be good news in the kingdom of the basement, I'm thinking of naming it Aslan.
temperature stays around 50 or warmer if I have a fire going in woodstove. Aslan's area is in a dark corner and its moist because of my water tank so yes that is a constant. Very cool, thank you.

J

jeff

I'll take Aslan's picture soon and post.

(Message edited by jennewt on December 07, 2005)

J

jeff

50's aren't a problem for A. maculatum at all. The salamander should be fine living in your basement provided there are moist spots, plenty of food and it runs into nothing caustic.

J

jeff

Thats great...and my basement is toxin free. It's cool to think that its been living there for years. I always thought they would climb down for a few days and then climb out using my bulkhead stairs. My 10 yr old would like a salamander for a pet...
nono.gif
Which type would be ok ? where would i get one etc.? I have an 8 gallon tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1