Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Salamander is impacted - can you help?

M

mary

I left my 7-year old yellow-spotted salamander with a pet store while I was on vacation. I left clear directions on how and when to feed him. When I picked him up today, they said he was "lethargic". By this evening, he was not moving or responding much, his body was looking puffy. Then he threw up two crickets. In all the years I've had him, he has never thrown up. I think the knotheads at the store overfed him. Now he has a swelling around his rectal area and it seems like he can't pass whatever it is that is causing it. Is there anything I can do for him? Will he be okay?}}

ryan

Reaction score
Pet store people don't know any thing about salamanders! You should probably put him in the fridge in a small container. This could kill of any harmful bacteria or fungus. Then try offering different food (especially chopped worms).

A

abrahm

I would be careful about placing your salamander in the fridge. While this does help the animal fight off an infectious disease, if that is not the problem refrigeration may not help. Placing the animal directly in the fridge may stress the animal if there is a very large temperature shift so it is best to gradually introduce the animal to cooler temperatures.

I unfortunately don't know what you could do to treat an impaction besides visiting a qualified herp veterinarian.

ryan

Reaction score
I said that she should use the fridge because 1: there arn't that many herp vets out there and 2: this sounds pretty serious and trying something like the fridge doesn't sound like a bad idea seeing that there isn't much to do.

I may be wrong so listen to what others have to say before you do anything. Good luck.

F

foster

Any chance that it could have swallowed a stone? Abraham is right, finding a good herp vet is the way to go.
Chip

K

kaysie

Ryan, There are herp vets if you look. And using the fridge is not foolproof for everything. It would not help with impaction, as it is not an infection that could be slowed down with refrigeration, such as fungus.

If you do not know what advice to give, it's best not to give any advice.

Mary, I would find a vet. They can help you pinpoint what is wrong, and may be able to fix the issue. Although this is expensive, it's the most reliable method of diagnosis.

I would also recommend not feeding crickets as often, as they have a hard exoskeleton that may cause impaction.

F

foster

Kaysie is right about giving out advice Ryan. Please do not take offense. Its just that this has always been a top notch site, with much of this information not even available in books (at least in America). It's great to share your personal experiences, but unless I'm mistaken that seems to be limited to one Necturus that you have had for a few months now. It's also good to post links to relevant discussions and/or cc articles, but to give advice, especially medical advice, on animals that you have no husbandry experience with is bad practice and can reflect poorly on this site.
Chip

ryan

Reaction score
Okay I'll keep that in mind, I'm sorry I didn't mean to sound so stupid (thats how I feel).

F

foster

No need to feel stupid. As a matter of fact you seem like a very well read, enthusiastic kid (I'm guessing that you are under 18) with a strong interest in the natural world. All that I am saying is to refrain from giving advice in areas in which you have no experience. Again, no offense was intended.
Chip

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1