Biting off more then they can chew

J

jeff

Today is day one of chopped blackworms(
lol.gif
yippie) and the waltl larvea are eating them like crazy...or at least they are really giving it a good try. It seems I did not chop them enough, and now it looks like a war of attrition going on down there, larvea on one end, worm on the other, both just going for it. A few worms were unfortunate enough to have a larvea at BOTH ends (now if I could get a picture of that). I do now have some concern, quite a bit actaully, that the little guys will kill themselves trying to swallow these worms, as they are not "biting the ends off". Is this likley? I am not going to start trying to remove the worms from their tiny little mouths unless I absoloutly have to...
uhoh.gif

(Message edited by newtsrfun on October 01, 2006)

Hello Jeff
I always had great results feeding larvas the little organism that are about the size of the period at the end of a sentence found in ponds for the first 10 days or so.
After that is when I started to feed them things like black worms.
It has been my experience that if I try to feed them chopped black worms earlier than state above many of them had a very hard time swallowing the black worms and some of them choke to death!
Hopefully that will not happen to any of your larvas!
Good luck!

My guys are about 1 month old now and are just getting back leg buds.

Jeff at one month old you should not have to worry much about them choking to death!
happy.gif
They should do fine with the chopped black worms!
Best wishes to you and your little guys!
wink.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back