Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Accidentally Stepped On Wild Salamander! HELP!!

W

worried

Hey my friend and I were coming home and while walking behind him to the entrance of my house I saw something wriggling to get away and relaized it was a salamander. I've never seen one around my house before but pretty much anything is possible around here I wasn't too shocked. It looks like he has stepped on the back leg or tail of it.. I couldn't grab it coz it had found a tiny crack in the cement to hide inbetween but I'm worried. There's white stuff oozing... we both feel horrible and just want to help it. Is there anything I can do?? Any help would be great.

W

william

accidents happen, don't beat yourself up over it. the best thing you can do is leave it.

J

joan

The white stuff is poison secretions. It was trying to keep you from eating it. Even if you stepped on the tail, it should recover just fine.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1